OSSS Summer Tour Agenda
- 1:00 pm Meet at Wallowa Lake Church Camp 84522 Church Ln, Wallowa Lake, Oregon
- 1:30 Car pool to Moraine Trailhead – Hike to top of the Moraine. Vance Almquist will start the discussion about Wallowa Mtn. soils and glacial factors in Soil Formation
Topic – Glacial influence on soil formation. Changes in soil organic matter and pH over time.
• Description of the Wallowa Lake Moraines
• Development of soils as glacier recede
- 4:30-5:00 return to Wallowa Lake Church Camp.
- Meet/Greet Social
- 6:00 pm Dinner at camp
- 6:45- Phil Neumann from Mainstem Malt, a pioneer in SalmonSafe crop production will present on barley, soils and innovative soil management techniques that are used to minimize environmental impact. He will also discuss how soil and soil management affects barley quality and the malting flavors in the brewing of beer.
- 8:00 pm wrap up for the evening, hang out
- 8:00 AM breakfast and pack lunch
- 8:45 Head out to the Nature Conservancy at Zumwalt Prairie- all day tour of soils both pristine and restored. Heidi Smaltz, TNC Site Manager will lead the all day tour.
Topic – Prairie Soils, this all day field trip is a comprehensive overview of the six main soil classifications of the Zumwalt Prairie
In NE Oregon. Some of these soils have not been cultivated or domestically grazed. This field trip offers a unique opportunity to compare soils that are pristine with soils that have been farmed and grazed during the last century.
- 3:30 Stop in at Terminal Gravity for beverages?
- 5:00 pm Return to Wallowa Lake Camp
- 6:00 Dinner
- 7:00 East Fork Brewery meet-up in Joseph (home of Terminal Gravity Brewing)
- 8:00 pm Wrap up and chat about the “next frontiers” in soils. Informal.
- 8:00 am Breakfast and pack lunches.
- 9:00 am Jeff Yanke from Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife
- Topic – Jeff Yanke from the Oregon Department of Fish and Game will lead a trip to the Wallowa River and lead a discussion on the kokanee salmon run. This discussion will describe nutrient transfer from aquatic to terrestrial soil environments. The influence of introduced species on water quality and how that can influence the frequency and impacts of algae blooms.
- 11:30 AM Drive to the lake outlet for an over view and wrap up of the tour.
- Lunch and head for home.